Welcome to Ljubljana International School
our students about us
What We Offer
Child Protection Statement
Thanks for looking into Ljubljana International School
As the incoming Director of Ljubljana International School (LIS), it is my privilege to welcome you to our school and website. My educational approach has been shaped over more than 20 years in the education sector, working in the USA, Kazakhstan, India, China, Malta, and Kyrgyzstan. Being a part of several successful school communities has shaped my understanding of the many aspects of building a positive school community. I am eager to bring my experience and successes to LIS.
First and foremost, I am a firm believer in the educational philosophy that all students can be successful. Our school is a special place where children from all over the world come together to learn, grow, and become remarkable people. We serve children from multiple countries through mastery learning with a rigorous American curriculum. In addition, we provide a place for families to connect and nurture relationships.
The LIS vision is “Children thrive in an atmosphere that promotes a life filled with meaning and purpose, where curiosity and a sense of wonder is cherished and encouraged.” One of the most fundamental responsibilities of any school is to provide students with the conditions to succeed. Our dedicated staff works with all our stakeholders to ensure that LIS continues to realize this vision while strengthening and growing the school as a pillar of the community. The caring staff at LIS are active participants in the learning process by designing student-centered lessons that embrace exploration, discovery, experiential learning, and the production of academically rigorous products. We believe in helping students embrace a reflective growth mindset and a positive attitude towards learning. If the students are happy at school and feel that their teachers genuinely care for them, they will strive for excellence. Of course, this means students must enjoy a safe and secure school environment where each person is respected, valued, and treated as an essential member of the school community.
We believe that it is our responsibility to educate and shape the child holistically and cultivate them to be global citizens. In addition to an academic focus, we also strongly emphasize a comprehensive educational experience. Our many after-school activities, music, and sports programs provide our students with opportunities to be successful beyond the traditional classroom setting. Student involvement is essential and encouraged as this helps to provide a full educational experience. LIS is able to provide this and more.
Living through the pandemic has taught us many things. Most apparent is that school communities need to adapt to the ever-changing landscape to best serve the stakeholders in our community. I look forward to hearing from and working with all of you to best prepare LIS for the future as we transition to an IB school. We are excited to partner with all the stakeholders to help Ljubljana International School reach its full potential. Please feel free to reach out directly. I look forward to meeting, learning from, and working with you all.
What we offer
Preschool and Kindergarten
The LIS Kindergarten program seeks to build on the child’s natural curiosity for learning and to develop their love and appreciation for schooling.
The LIS elementary school program is designed to guide our students to find their passions while becoming successful learners both in and outside of the classroom environment. The school is committed to provide each student with the support they need for optimal success.
The LIS middle school courses and program are designed to fully support the academic and personal development of young adolescents since the middle years are a time of exceptional growth and change for students.
The LIS high school program is designed to provide our students with a full and comprehensive secondary education program preparing them for post-secondary education, while continuing to provide emotional, behavioral and social supports that facilitate each student’s learning.
LIS at a glance
- During the 2021-22 school year, over 25 different nationalities were represented within the school community, making LIS a truly multicultural and international school.
- Two fully equipped campuses in Ljubljana to better serve our student community: A) PreK – Grade 4 ; B) Grade 5 – Grade 12.
- The school provides a safe and caring environment for all students in which any form of bullying is strictly prohibited.
- All core classes are taught in English, and all other languages are offered from exposure level to formal classes (5X per week) from Kindergarten to Grade 12 (may be as an elective class).
- Teachers use a combination of whole class and small group instruction to create a supportive, nurturing, and challenging learning environment.
- The school offers a variety of Advanced Placement (AP) courses as part of the Secondary program – also available online.
- English as an Additional Language (EAL) classes (also referred to as “Intensive English” classes) are offered to students who require additional assistance with acquiring or solidifying their English language skills.
- The use of technology is integrated across the curriculum and is a part of the school’s culture. Technology includes interactive boards, laptop computers and a variety of advanced software to enrich the academic curriculum and facilitate interactive learning experiences among students and teachers.
- The school is proud of its Slovenian roots and as such, it seeks to provide students with an appreciation for the rich culture and history of the Republic of Slovenia.
- Materials and equipment are up to date and consistently of high quality.
- A Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy is in place for secondary school-level students who prefer to take advantage of their own technological devices.
- Individual student attention is provided through small group interaction and class sizes reflecting a very low student-teacher ratio.
- An optional after-school activities program complements our offerings with sports/athletics, fine arts, makerspace, music/dance, arts and crafts, and play, to name but a few. Furthermore, the rich extracurricular programming is designed to help each student to develop his or her own special talents and abilities.
- Blended education is available. This ensures that a student is able to continue his/her education online if the student is unable to attend classes in person, for whatever reason.
- LIS also cooperates with schools in the virtual world as well. This online education allows our school to offer courses normally found at schools of much greater size. Distance learning provides Advanced Placement (AP) students with greater opportunities to enhance their transcripts in preparation of University life.
The LIS Vision
LIS does not offer an artificial environment for children, but rather, provides opportunities in the real world they already live in, to help educate them. We are proud that our academic environment acknowledges each child as a person in need of growth, guidance and encouragement. A child is allowed to make mistakes and to learn from them, all the while preserving and protecting their natural curiosity and sense of wonder.
A child should be encouraged to have good habits and display self-control. It is not enough for them to be strong academically; “they also need to develop the skills necessary for continual improvement that will benefit them even once they have finished their formal education.”
There is great diversity in life, so an academic program should embrace subjects that inspire children in a holistic fashion. A life filled with meaning and purpose should involve a curriculum that inspires through various means including, but not limited to the fine arts, athletics, the study of nature in science and engineering, the lofty ideas of literature, the logic of mathematics, the joys of learning a new language, and the physical challenge for good health and physical fitness.
The LIS Mission
The LIS curriculum does not rely solely on a textbook sequence, but rather, on a series of carefully selected “living” books, works of art, musical compositions, mathematical and scientific concepts, physical and mental skills, and/or techniques which each student is offered. The literary or artistic quality of the work and the quality of the ideas contained therein are of primary importance in its inclusion into our curriculum. A LIS education offers rigorous academic programs in combination with innovative teaching methodologies.
Children have minds capable of making their own connections with knowledge and experiences, and our programs ensure that the child learns about nature, science and art, knows how to build things, reads many living books and that they are physically fit. We encourage our students to search and enquire further into the topics they are introduced to in the classrooms since this is essential to the understanding of ideas, their connection to the real world and the people in it.
Each student is encouraged to achieve all that they are capable of by having parallel general classes in mathematics and reading, allowing any student to participate in their own individual levels for each subject, even if that is outside of their age group. Rather than focusing on performances in measurement tasks alone, we emphasize the assimilation of ideas and mastery learning. To be able to achieve this, we strive to teach each student to be responsible, accountable and to learn how to be self-motivated. By closely following each student’s educational journey and personal growth, we can assist each individual in identifying their strengths and weaknesses. Children must learn that their greatest responsibility is choosing which ideas to accept or to reject. Good habits of behavior and an abundance of knowledge will provide the discipline and experience to guide them towards this objective.
Our desire is to also include the parents in our school community, so that they too are involved in their child’s development and ultimately, in the growth of our entire school body, hopefully providing benefits for all involved.
Showing concern for others as a part of a larger, diverse community.
Using polite language, tone and behavior towards others.
Noticing and appreciating the beauty around them, both inside and outside of the school.
A willingness to discover as much as you can about things.
Being honest and forthright.
Remembering that they are a part of a world that is “bigger than themselves,” and that what they study or observe has meaning.
Doing their best, especially in the face of a challenge.
Child Protection Statement
Ljubljana International School is responsible for providing a safe and nurturing environment for our students. All employees of LIS must report suspected incidences of child abuse or neglect whenever the staff member has reasonable cause to believe that a child has suffered or is at risk of suffering abuse or neglect. Reporting and follow up of all suspected incidences of child abuse or neglect will proceed in accordance with our LIS Child Protection Policy. LIS seeks to be a safe haven for all of our students and will continue to make child protection and safeguarding a top priority as we adhere to the following statement as agreed upon by CEESA.
CEESA Safeguarding and Child Protection Statement
- Safeguarding and Child Protection is a priority for every CEESA School.
- CEESA commits to supporting school environments that safeguard children through both prevention and intervention.
- CEESA works in cooperation with international agencies to ensure standards associated with best practices are regularly reviewed, revised, and applied in all operations, activities, and events.
- CEESA leaders honor and uphold child protection guidelines and procedures, in partnership with all stakeholders in their respective school communities.
All CEESA schools will:
- Actively uphold the CEESA Safeguarding and Child Protection Statement.
- Implement school-based Safeguarding and Child Protection Policies and Procedures that include regular onsite training.
- Employ safe recruitment practices consistent with Safeguarding and Child Protection Policies.
- Educate students and adults on Safeguarding and Child Protection.
Contact or visit us
There is nothing like seeing and experiencing our school in person. Arrange a meeting with our Director and take a tour of our Campus. If you are unsure whether LIS is the right fit for your child, we encourage you to let your child join our classes for a day or two and experience firsthand what we offer.